Monday, August 16, 2010

Poetry

I recently realized I love poetry.. It just occurred to me that It's a form of art I've always forgotten or pushed furthest away in the back of my crowded mind since other things have forced their way to the front..

Because of this I find poetry to be something new and fresh that I know almost nothing about. Famous poems have passed me by completely, famous poets that I just know the name of become new sources of inspiration. It's incredible really. I'm so happy to have this new thing to explore.

It's not entirely new of course.. I remember back in school when I was 13 we had to write haiku for a contest and I loved it. My naïve little poem about autumn leaves in the forest ended up being published in some kind of book but I don't have it and I can't remember what the name was. Anyway, I quickly forgot about that little success and went on drawing, dancing or whatever.

Poetry is like songs without melodies. I love to write them down by hand and recite them out loud to myself. Read them with different tones of my voice to find the things I love about a certain poem. I found one today that I really love. Here it is:

The tree has entered my hands,
The sap has ascended my arms,
The tree has grown in my breast-
Downward,
The branches grow out of me, like arms.

Tree you are
Moss you are
You are violets with wind above them.
A child - so high - you are,
And all this is folly to the world.

It's called 'A Girl' and it was written by Ezra Pound. I found it today by accident..
When me and dear G went to London last year we found a great antique bookstore and I stood a long time by the shelf with old poetry fingering the spines of the books wondering if I should spend the little money I had buying one of them or not. I didn't know any of the poets and I had no idea if it would be worth it or not. I never bought anything. I want to go back and buy antique english books of poetry I know nothing about. I really think it would be worth it...

1 comment: