Tuesday, September 7, 2010

"..saved me from ennui"

Ennui, what a word! This english-class I'm taking right now really is great, I've already encountered so many words I didn't know from before, 'ennui' being my favorite because it somehow sounds like my nickname, haha! It sort of means a depressing feeling of annoyance and restlessness though which I only find more amusing. I should rename myself..

The class is about english crime fiction more than language in itself, and the first weeks we are going to read and discuss Sherlock Holmes of course! I'd never read any Holmes stories before today and was very surprised when I couldn't stop reading once I started! I really understand that they became such a success. I easily get bored reading books and I sure thought that these old mossy detective tales would have me snoozing in a few minutes but they are very refreshing! I love the style of the writing and Holmes character. Not at all how I had imagined him.. I really like this old illustration by Sidney Paget too.

The quote in the title of this post is from a story where after solving a mystery, Holmes yawns and states that he is only trying to "escape from the commonplaces of existence" by occupying himself with detective work..

Although we are not very much alike me and him, I can relate to him trying to distract himself with things that he enjoys instead of living the average life of an english gentleman.. Haha, I sound so pretentious right now, but I'm sure you understand that all I'm trying to say is that I also get bored and gloomy if I don't get to play around as I wish instead of participating in normal grown up society. I also need distractions and this evening Sherlock Holmes saved me from ennui..

1 comment: