Saturday, September 17, 2011

Art journaling

I used to have a really nice morning routine of waking up at 8, making tea and then sitting down to create a page in my art journal. I won't be able to do that in the future unless I get up really early, since I'll start a new job on Monday, more about that later. Now, I thought I should share my process with you, because i think that art journaling is a great way to play with your creativity and just let go of all the stress of trying to create something fantastic or having to struggle with art skills. It's just play and fun.

I keep a little box of magazine cutouts that I have collected over time. It's really easy to get a big collection of pictures and papers quickly by just browsing through old magazines you don't want or even junk advertising that you get in your mail. Every piece of paper has some potential.

I then choose a bunch of stuff I like and try to think of a theme. This time I wanted to create some kind of geisha doll like thing with cherry blossoms. Nothing complicated, just a girl with cute crazy hair and such.


I cut and rip and paste until I have some sort of organized mess. I usually paste all the paper material into my journal before I start painting. I use a very cheap paper glue and then I colour everything with watercolour. The trick that I found early on in my process of art journaling is that it's the mess that creates the charm. I tend to be really messy and sloppy when I do this, because the point of doing this for me personally is to just let go and not think too much. If you fail, just start over, or try to mend it by sticking more random stuff onto your page. Even failed pages can look cute in the end.


My goal is to fill this entire notebook with messy, colourful pages. On some of them I write a little piece about my day, like in a diary. I put the date in and sometimes I quote poems or songs I like that fit the page I just made. Art journaling for me is pure creative freedom without any kind of preassure. The best thing is, you don't have to be able to draw well, or have any kinds of special skills or tools. Just some paper, glue, scissors and whatever you want to use to put some splashes of colour in there. If you haven't done this already, I really really urge you to just pick up an old notebook and start making a beautiful mess!

14 comments:

  1. Love it. I think I'm going to start - when I get back from Japan! While I'm here I am keeping a sketchy diary, since I only have a few pens and some pencils. Can't wait to use more mediums!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so much fun, if you do it you have to show me! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this awesome inspiration! It's really THE kick in the butt I needed :) Good luck on your new job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm glad I could inspire! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this!! I am a crazy scrap sketcher, so sadly all my drawings usually get lost. I am going to give this a shot. If you don't mind me asking what brand of watercolors do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, that sounds like a good idea! I should sketch more on paper and mix the tecniques, that could be fun I think. :) As for my watercolours I use Winsor & Newton, a box my father bought be ages ago that never seem to run out. I'd highly reccomend them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will definatly try them!! I am very excited about this, thank you for blogging about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1001journals.com
    You can post your art journal on there.
    I collage in journals which i guess can be art journaling, its so much fun but I don't do it as often as I should.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I do this too! I just started a new piece the other night using parts of old adverts for bands/stickers and surrounded it with a little story about a girl child who was allergic to the color pink.
    Love your work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You made a beautiful page -- i love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really cute page. You make it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete