Sunday, September 18, 2011

History

I woke up this morning and wished that I was back in a Scottish castle. Then I remembered all the guidebooks I was given and this postcard I bought at Fyvie Castle.

I was amazed with this portrait when I saw it the first time. It's hanging in the small drawing room of Fyvie Castle that was once a royal stronghold in Scotland. The name means 'deer hill' in Gaelic. Back to the portrait though, since this is a blog about art and not history, even though I do like my history.

The portrait is of Isabella Macleod. She was married to the physician of the king. The artists name is Sir Henry Raeburn. He was a Scottish portrait painter and this particular portrait is considered to be his finest female portrait. I haven't seen the others, but I really do love this one. It is way more beautiful in person though, this is just a photo taken of my own postcard, lying on my desk at home. I really wish I lived in a Scottish castle right now...

1 comment: