Thursday, October 27, 2011

Drawn

Like wolves they stalk
Wicked and cruel
Drawn by the scent
She is helpless again

Their knife edged grins
Their outspoken strength
Their crooked intentions

An innocent smile
is all that it takes
Lay out the bait
Set up the snare
All gather around
the sweet little one

Her frail white bones
Her delicate ways
Her dazed hazy hues

What is hidden
a twisted longing
To hunt or be hunted
is really just the same
Feed the addiction
you sweet little one

Like a wolf she stalks
Fatal and flawed
Drawn by the scent
They are helpless again

I wanted an image for this, but somehow I can't settle for anything. I normally never post anything without an image, but this time I'll make an exception. This is kind of scary for me, to post my own poetry. It's not something I usually would do. I don't even normally write things like these that I don't immediately throw away. I've been trying to spark my own imagination and inspiration when it comes to writing in general, because it's something I used to do a lot when I was younger. I'd fill notebooks full of stories and I wrote over a hundred pages of a book that got lost in a computer crash when I was 14. Only the memory of that one remains, which might be a good thing.

Self doubt and a fear of being laughed at is probably what makes me so scared of sharing my writing. Well, sometimes you have to challenge your fears.

3 comments:

  1. I love this poem and I can relate to it. I write poetry myself and I understand the anxiousness of showing your work & wondering how it'll be perceived by others, but I'll tell you how I feel about it; it doesn't matter whether someone else "gets it" all that matters is the beauty you created and how self-fulfilling it is to write poetry. You have a gift for writing poetry, it's crystal clear. Keep writing and be proud of your work because you should be, it's unique, original and well written. I loved it! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thank you! It means a lot to hear that, especially since poetry is sort of a hidden love of mine. I don't write a lot, but when I do I never show any of my work. This was an exception. It's probably because it feels so personal and private in a way, and people who aren't used to poetry often don't know how to react to it.
    Thank you for your comment! <3

    ReplyDelete