Saturday, July 7, 2012

Safe storage

I've been debating with myself wether I should write about this or not. I decided I wanted to even though it's not an easy subject. It's about mental health issues. The reason I'm thinking about this now is that I recently read a bunch of articles on how girls in sweden with self harm problems and eating disorders are treated.

We're living in a society were self harm is incredibly common, especially amongst young girls. The help that can be found is often in the form of medication and therapy. If that doesn't help, there are hospitals. One step further though are the locked institutions where you put criminals such as murderers and rapists who are deemed mentally insane. That doesn't really sound like a good environment for a young girl who suffers so much that she feels she has to cut and starve herself but it's reality in sweden today, and I bet it's just the same in other countries if not worse.

They are locked in isolation with gloves that can't be taken off and helmets on their heads, or strapped to their beds like you'd imagine in a mental asylum back in 1900-something. These methods are not only used for their safety but also as punishment for their behavior. They are not legal but used anyway. This information comes from a number of swedish articles, I can link a few to those who are interested. I can also link the medical documents where it is written that these methods are being used.

I didn't know this was the end station for girls with these problems. It seriously scares the living shit out of me that people can be treated this way, and that people that aren't guilty of any crimes or are in any way dangerous still get locked in mental institutions meant for criminals. It just seems like something that would happen in a movie, but it's very real and it's happening now. The reason I'm so scared is because it could have happened to me too. I'm mostly healthy now thanks to therapy and amazing people who have helped me get better and feel better, but if I had been in an other environment, without those people helping me, my problems could still be there and they could have been worse. 


I didn't know that there was some kind of limit where you are too sick for regular treatment and they just give up and put people in safe storage just to make sure they don't kill themselves without caring wether this "security" make people healthier or not. Well now I do know and I feel devastated. There is so much I'd like to say on this subject but I feel like I can't squeeze it all into one blog post. I just needed to get this information out in writing because it's been clouding my thoughts for a while.


I created this blog during the time I had serious problems. I used it as therapy in a way, to try to always remain positive and focus on the beautiful things in life that I love, such as pretty images and cute things that make me smile. I rarely focused on my mental health issues but now that I feel much better I feel that I can share my thoughts on the matter a bit more. I still want to focus on the bright sides of life, but these things shouldn't be forgotten. I might write more about it later. Now I'm off to play some video games to shake this nasty feeling off. Take care!

8 comments:

  1. My god, I would never have thought it to be like that in Sweden, it feels like something that only happens in movies these days, it's 2012 for fuck sake.. I'm scared now too! And glad though, to read that you hade good friends and got out of the bad stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does feel pretty unrealistic, but it's true :( I just hope it can be changed, because it shouldn't have to be that way. Some girls have been locked in these institutions for years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, that's insane. Surely there are better ways of taking care of people ... and I don't get why it has to be so inhumane ... . I wonder what it's like in the UK ... not sure if we have such institutions or not (possibly?). I ordered the book "Girl, Interrupted" the other day, which is about this subject. Looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, and wanted to add that I love the artwork . Sell some printssss!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a bit scary since it's not really something we on the outside have much knowledge of :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for posting this as hard as I know it was for you. Those of us that have been there feel the same was you do about the treatment and are thankful that you have given a voice to these girls who don't have one. I know the struggle and will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! I think it's important to show things happening in our society that might not get a lot of attention, or that may be surrounded with stereotypes or prejudice. Hopefully things will change soon so that people with these problems can be treated in a humane way.

      Delete