Thursday, November 29, 2012

Dusty

Almost exactly two years ago, me and my friend Gabriella made a school project that we named Elysion. We were a team of four but from what it felt like, this project was me and Gabriella pouring all of our souls into one 10-week long project that would sum up our tastes in art. A movie to show emotions, beauty and horror all in one. It was a really emotional experience and despite being a school-project we went in for it with heart and soul. The goal of the project was to create a trailer that would show gameplay for a made-up game of our own imagination. The actual game part wasn't all that important to us, so it's more of a story forced into game format.

I'd love to see it come to life as an actual game at some point, but I doubt that would ever happen. I am really happy to just re watch this now, two years after that cold November when we dreamed up this girl Dusty.

The story is about a girl who has a life threatening disease. A non-specific disease, it doesn't matter what kind. She fears it, hates it and is intrigued by it at the same time. As a result of her condition and imaginative mind she ends up half-way between reality and her own fantasy world. Here she meets the physical image of the disease that plagues her. Growing from her like a tree with blood red leaves. Beautiful, haunting and horrifying all at once. She tries to find herself, reach out to her disease. We'll never know how it ends.

This movie was very symbolic back then, and now more than ever do I feel like we actually accomplished the portrayal of ambivalence towards disease. Something that I'm currently and always in the middle of. Full credits at the end of the movie. Me and Gabriella collaborated on concept design and direction. She made all of the animations while I painted all the textures and modeled Dusty and her Disease. Now I'm gonna go ahead and watch it again.



12 comments:

  1. It's an awesome animation! I love the colours too. It would be interesting to see you revisit Dusty in your art maybe! It's great to see you posting and talking and arting again <3 keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually thinking of painting her again. We'll see what happens ^_^ Art has come back into my life again and it feels like such a huge relief!

      Delete
    2. I'm really happy that you managed to get back into your personal art :3 also awesome new one today!

      Delete
  2. As you said, beautifully disturbing. If you don't mind, I would like to have your permission to use your idea. I'm (sometimes) a writer, and though I can't truly translate your story into words, I'd like to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't really do that since it's not just my own idea. It belongs to the group. If you're inspired, go ahead and create! That's always awesome. I still want to hold on to this specific story though in case a time comes where it can be created fully.

      Delete
  3. That beautiful nightmareish darkness, both seductive and frightening. Elysion pinpoints it perfectly.

    ...I want to play that game:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would gladly have played. ^ ^ Maybe you used to create it?

    Apheo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a really interesting story, and I love the style of everything, it looks beautiful and interesting - I'd love to play it, I hope one day you guys continue to work on it :)

    And I agree with a previous comment, it would be interesting to see you revisit Dusty in your art :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me and Gabriella actually discussed briefly to pick up Elysion again at some point when we have the time. Make a kickstarter campaign to make it into a graphic novel. No idea if that time will ever come, but it's not impossible ^_^

      Delete
  6. I remember this one, you guys did a great job :D

    Would be nice to see it in action some day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Couldn't take my eyes from this vid.. It is absolutely perfect. Now I guess I´m a little in love with you guys. /Julia

    ReplyDelete